Saturday, April 25, 2009

word

Word of mouth
Click here for more pictures.

noun
unit of language
[C] a single unit of language which means sth and can be spoken or written: Do not write more than 200 words. ◆ Do you know the words to this song? ◆ What's the Spanish word for 'table'? ◆ He was a true friend in all senses of the word. ◆ Tell me what happened in your own words. ◆ I could hear every word they were saying. ◆ He couldn't find the words to thank her enough. ◆ Words fail me (= I cannot express how I feel). ◆ There are no words to say how sorry we are. ◆ I can't remember her exact words. ◆ Angry is not the word for it-I was furious. ◆ I can never put my feelings into words.
See also BUZZWORD, FOUR-LETTER WORD, HOUSEHOLD WORD, PORTMANTEAU WORD, SWEAR WORD
sth you say
[C] a thing that you say; a remark or statement: Have a word with Pat and see what she thinks. ◆ Could I have a quick word with you (= speak to you quickly)? ◆ A word of warning:
read the instructions very carefully. ◆ words of love ◆ She left without a word (= without saying anything). ◆ I don't believe a word of his story (= I don't believe any of it). ◆ a man / woman of few words (= who doesn't talk very much) ◆ I'd like to say a few words about future plans. ◆ Remember-not a word to (= don't tell) Peter about any of this. ◆ He never breathed a word of this to me.

promise
[sing.] a promise or GUARANTEE that you will do sth or that sth will happen or is true: I give you my word that this won't happen again. ◆ I give you my word of honour (= my sincere promise) ... ◆ We never doubted her word. ◆ We only have his word for it that the cheque is in the post. ◆ to keep your word (= do what you promised) ◆ He promised to help and was as good as his word (= did what he promised). ◆ He's a man of his word (= he does what he promises). ◆ I trusted her not to go back on her word (= break her promise). ◆ I can't prove it-you'll have to take my word for it (= believe me).
information / news
[sing.] a piece of information or news: There's been no word from them since before Christmas. ◆ She sent word that she would be late. ◆ If word gets out about the affair, he will have to resign. ◆ Word has it that she's leaving. ◆ The word is they've split up. ◆ He likes to spread the word about the importance of healthy eating.
bible
(the Word) (also the Word of God) [sing.] the Bible and its teachings
Idioms: by word of mouth because people tell each other and not because they read about it: The news spread by word of mouth.
(right) from the word go (informal) from the very beginning
(not) get a word in edgeways (BrE) (AmE (not) get a word in edgewise) (not) to be able to say anything because sb else is speaking too much: When Mary starts talking, no one else can get a word in edgeways.
have a word in sb's ear (BrE) to speak to sb privately about sth
have / exchange words (with sb) (about sth) (especially BrE) to argue or quarrel with sb: We've had words. ◆ Words were exchanged.
in other words used to introduce an explanation of sth: They asked him to leave-in other words he was fired.
(not) in so / as many words (not) in exactly the same words as sb says were used: 'Did she say she was sorry?' 'Not in so many words.' ◆ He didn't approve of the plan and said so in as many words.
in a word (spoken) used for giving a very short, usually negative, answer or comment: 'Would you like to help us?' 'In a word, no.'
in words of one syllable using very simple language: Could you say that again in words of one syllable?
the last / final word (on sth) the last comment or decision about sth: He always has to have the last word in any argument. ◆ I'm willing to wait one more week, and that's my final word on the subject.
(upon) my word (old-fashioned) used to show that you are surprised about sth
not have a good word to say for sb/sth (informal) to never say anything good about sb/sth: Nobody had a good word to say about him.
put in a (good) word for sb to praise sb to sb else in order to help them get a job, etc.
put words into sb's mouth to suggest that sb has said sth when in fact they have not
say / give the word to give an order; to make a request: Just say the word, and I'll go.
take sb at their word to believe exactly what sb says or promises
take the words right out of sb's mouth to say what sb else was going to say
too funny, silly, ridiculous, etc. for words extremely funny, silly, ridiculous, etc.
word for word in exactly the same words or (when translated) exactly EQUIVALENT words: She repeated their conversation word for word to me. ◆ a word-for-word translation
sb's word is their bond sb's promise can be relied on completely
more at ACTION n., BANDY v., DIRTY adj., EAT, FAMOUS, HANG v., LAST det., LOST adj., MINCE v., MUM adj., OPERATIVE adj., PLAY n., PRINT v., WAR n., WEIGH, WRITTEN
verb [VN] [often passive] to write or say sth using particular words: How was the letter worded (= what did it say exactly)?
worded adjective: a carefully worded speech ◆ a strongly worded letter of protest

Click here for more definition,
or here for more movie/TV quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment