Thursday, April 23, 2009

feel

Feel the wind
Click here for more pictures

verb (felt, felt )
well / sick / happy / sad, etc.
linking verb to experience a particular feeling or emotion: [V-ADJ] The heat made him feel faint. ◆ She sounded more confident than she felt. ◆ I was feeling guilty. ◆ You'll feel better after a good night's sleep. ◆ She felt betrayed. ◆ I feel sorry for him. ◆ [V +adv./prep.] How are you feeling today? ◆ I know exactly how you feel (= I feel sympathy for you). ◆ Luckily I was feeling in a good mood. ◆ [VN] He seemed to feel no remorse at all. ◆ [V-N] Standing there on stage I felt a complete idiot. ◆ [V] I felt like a complete idiot.
be / become aware
(not usually used in the progressive tenses) to notice or be aware of sth because it is touching you or having a physical effect on you
Synonym: SENSE
[VN] I could feel the warm sun on my back. ◆ She could not feel her legs. ◆ I can't feel his pulse. ◆ He felt a hand on his shoulder. ◆ [VN -ing] He felt a hand touching his shoulder. ◆ She could feel herself blushing. ◆ He felt the sweat running down his face. ◆ [VN inf] I felt something crawl up my arm. ◆ We felt the ground give way under our feet.
[VN] (not usually used in the progressive tenses) to become aware of sth even though you cannot see it, hear it, etc.
Synonym: SENSE
Can you feel the tension in this room?
have impression
linking verb (not used in the progressive tenses) to give you a particular feeling or impression: [V-ADJ] It felt strange to be back in my old school. ◆ My mouth felt completely dry. ◆ [V] The interview only took ten minutes, but it felt like hours. ◆ It feels like rain (= seems likely to rain). ◆ Her head felt as if it would burst. ◆ It felt as though he had run a marathon. ◆ How does it feel to be alone all day?
Help Note: In spoken English people often use like instead of as if or as though in this meaning, especially in AmE: He felt like he'd run a marathon. This is considered incorrect in written BrE.
touch
linking verb (not used in the progressive tenses) to have a particular physical quality which you become aware of by touching: [V-ADJ] The water feels warm. ◆ Its skin feels really smooth. ◆ [V] This wallet feels like leather.
to deliberately move your fingers over sth in order to find out what it is like: [VN] Can you feel the bump on my head? ◆ Try to tell what this is just by feeling it. ◆ [V wh-] Feel how rough this is.
think / believe
(not usually used in the progressive tenses) to think or believe that sth is the case; to have a particular opinion or attitude
Synonym: THINK
[V (that)] We all felt (that) we were unlucky to lose. ◆ I felt (that) I had to apologize. ◆ I feel I could continue playing until I am 35. ◆ [VN to inf] She felt it to be her duty to tell the police. ◆ [VN-N] She felt it her duty to tell the police. ◆ [VN-ADJ] I felt it advisable to do nothing. ◆ [V] This decision is, I feel, a huge mistake. ◆ This is something I feel strongly about.
be strongly affected
[VN] to experience the effects or results of sth, often strongly: He feels the cold a lot. ◆ Cathy was really feeling the heat. ◆ She felt her mother's death very deeply. ◆ The effects of the recession are being felt everywhere. ◆ We all felt the force of her arguments.
search with hands
[V] ~ (about / around) (for sth) to search for sth with your hands, feet, etc: He felt in his pockets for some money. ◆ I had to feel about in the dark for the light switch.
Idioms: feel your age to realize that you are getting old, especially compared with people you are with who are younger than you
feel your ears burning to think or imagine that other people are talking about you
feel free (to do sth) (informal) used to tell sb that they are allowed to do sth: Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. ◆ 'Can I use your phone?' 'Feel free.'
feel good to feel happy, confident, etc: It makes me feel good to know my work is appreciated.
feel (it) in your bones (that ...) to be certain about sth even though you do not have any direct proof and cannot explain why you are certain: I know I'm going to fail this exam-I can feel it in my bones.
feel like sth / like doing sth to want to have or do sth: I feel like a drink. ◆ We all felt like celebrating. ◆ He felt like bursting into tears. ◆ We'll go for a walk if you feel like it.
feel the pinch (informal) to not have enough money: Lots of people who have lost their jobs are starting to feel the pinch.
feel sick (especially BrE) (AmE usually feel sick to your stomach) to feel as though you will VOMIT soon: Mum! I feel sick.
feel your way
to move along carefully, for example when it is dark, by touching walls, objects, etc.
to be careful about how you do things, usually because you are in a situation that you are not familiar with: She was new in the job, still feeling her way.
not feel yourself to not feel healthy and well: I'm not quite feeling myself today.
more at DEATH, FLATTER, HARD adv., HONOUR n., HONOUR v., JELLY, MARK n., MILLION, PRESENCE, SMALL adj.
Phrasal Verbs: feel for sb to have sympathy for sb: I really felt for her when her husband died. ◆ I do feel for you, honestly.
feel sb<->up (informal) to touch sb sexually, especially when they do not want you to
feel up to sth to have the strength and energy to do or deal with sth: Do we have to go to the party? I really don't feel up to it. ◆ [+ -ing] After the accident she didn't feel up to driving.
noun [sing.]
touch
(the feel) the feeling you get when you touch sth or are touched: You can tell it's silk by the feel. ◆ She loved the feel of the sun on her skin.
an act of feeling or touching: I had a feel of the material. ◆ rough / smooth to the feel
impression
the impression that is created by a place, situation, etc.; atmosphere: It's a big city but it has the feel of a small town. ◆ The room has a comfortable feel to it. ◆ There is an international feel to the restaurant.
Idioms: get the feel of sth / of doing sth to become familiar with sth or with doing sth: I haven't got the feel of the brakes in this car yet.
have a feel for sth to have an understanding of sth or be naturally good at doing it: She has a real feel for languages.

Click here for more definition, or here for more movie/TV quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment