Friday, April 24, 2009

expect

What to Expect
Click here for more pictures.

to think or believe that sth will happen or that sb will do sth: [VN] We are expecting a rise in food prices this month. ◆ Don't expect sympathy from me! ◆ That's not the sort of behaviour I expect of you! ◆ Double the expected number of people came to the meeting. ◆ [V to inf] You can't expect to learn a foreign language in a few months. ◆ I looked back, half expecting to see someone following me. ◆ [VN to inf] House prices are expected to rise sharply. ◆ I didn't expect him to become a successful writer. ◆ Do you really expect me to believe you? ◆ [V (that)] Many people were expecting (that) the peace talks would break down. ◆ [VN that] It is expected that the report will suggest some major reforms.
(often used in the progressive tenses) to be waiting for sb/sth to arrive, as this has been arranged: [VN] to expect a visit / call / letter from sb ◆ Are you expecting visitors? ◆ [VN, VN to inf] We were expecting him yesterday. ◆ We were expecting him to arrive yesterday.
~ sth (of / from sb) to demand that sb will do sth because it is their duty or responsibility: [VN] Her parents expected high standards from her. ◆ Are you clear what is expected of you? ◆ He's still getting over his illness, so don't expect too much from him. ◆ [VN to inf] They expected all their children to be high achievers. ◆ We are expected to work on Saturdays. ◆ [V to inf] I expect to be paid promptly for the work. [also V that]
(informal, especially BrE) (not used in the progressive tenses) used when you think sth is probably true: [V] 'Will you be late?' 'I expect so.' ◆ 'Are you going out tonight?' 'I don't expect so.' ◆ [V, V that] 'Who's eaten all the cake?' 'Tom, I expect / I expect it was Tom.'
Help Note: 'That' is nearly always left out.
Compare: UNEXPECTED
Idioms: be expecting a baby / child (informal) to be pregnant: Ann's expecting a baby in June.
be (only) to be expected to be likely to happen; to be quite normal: A little tiredness after taking these drugs is to be expected.
what (else) do you expect? (spoken) used to tell sb not to be surprised by sth: She swore at you? What do you expect when you treat her like that?

WHICH WORD?

expect / wait for / hope / look forward to
If you expect something, you think that it will or is likely to happen: I'm expecting him to arrive soon. If you wait for sth, you stay somewhere or pass the time until something happens:
I'm waiting for him to arrive. Waiting describes what you are doing, usually for a short time, until something happens:
I'll wait for you outside the hotel. ◆ I'll wait you outside the hotel. ◆ How long have you been waiting to see the dentist? Expecting suggests that you think something will happen in the future:
The fall in profits had been expected. ◆ We weren't expecting it to rain.

You use hope, not expect, to say that you want something to happen: I hope you will have a good party. ◆ I expect you will have a good party.
You use look forward to when you are feeling happy and excited about something that you expect to happen: I'm looking forward to your visit. At the end of a letter, use look forward to, not expect:
I look forward to your reply. ◆ I expect your reply


Click here for more definition,
or here for more movie/TV quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment