Thursday, April 23, 2009

that

Seriously—We're Not Doing That

used to define a certain individual, or object that is the ideal of a particular type of class/group/belonging
Yo yo, there goes Jay-Z. Damn, hes THAT nigga.
Hey, is Paul Panoose south indian?
Heck yeah, Paul Panoose is THAT south indian, bitch.

What won't be done for love.
Rob: "I would do anything for love. But I won't do THAT."

Something I can't let you do
Can't let you do that Starfox

A response in agreement or in support of something just said. Agreeing with someone.
one guy: Man, that was an awesome catch ! other guy: Yeah, that.
one guy: this movie sucks! other guy: that !

not this, often used when pointing at something
Can i have that? No, not this, that.

used when ringing up for cannabis ....
Hello have u got any of "that"?

determiner
used for referring to a person or thing that is not near the speaker or as near to the speaker as another: Look at that man over there. ◆ How much are those apples at the back?
Col. Von Strom: Helga. How did you get up to that little window?

used for referring to sb/sth that has already been mentioned or is already known about: I was living with my parents at that time. ◆ That incident changed their lives. ◆ Have you forgotten about that money I lent you last week? ◆ That dress of hers is too short.
Michelle Dubois: What is the biggest break you've had on this table?
René: Just now, when my wife swallowed that story about the light bulb.

pronoun
used for referring to a person or thing that is not near the speaker, or not as near to the speaker as another: Who's that? ◆ That's Peter over there. ◆ Hello. Is that Jo? ◆ That's a nice dress. ◆ Those look riper than these.
[Helga has come to the cafe to talk to René, when a clattering noise is heard from outside]
Helga: What was that?
René: Just the phantoms falling over the dustbins.
<"'Allo 'Allo!" (1982)>

for referring to sb/sth that has already been mentioned, or is already known about: What can I do about that? ◆ Do you remember when we went to Norway? That was a good trip. ◆ That's exactly what I think.
Mimi Labonq: I cannot hear your heart.
René Artois: That is because you are listening to my appendix.

(plural that) used as a relative pronoun to introduce a part of a sentence which refers to the person, thing or time you have been talking about: Where's the letter that came yesterday? ◆ Who was it that won the US Open? ◆ The watch (that) you gave me keeps perfect time. ◆ The people (that) I spoke to were very helpful. ◆ It's the best novel (that) I've ever read. ◆ We moved here the year (that) my mother died.
Help Note: In spoken and informal written English that is nearly always left out when it is the object of the verb or is used with a preposition.
René: After all that has happened, I could use a little aspirin.
René: I did this in memory of the day that the Kaiser was buried.

conjunction
used after some verbs, adjectives and nouns to introduce a new part of the sentence: She said (that) the story was true. ◆ It's possible (that) he has not received the letter. ◆ The fact (that) he's older than me is not relevant.
Help Note: In spoken and informal written English that is usually left out after reporting verbs and adjectives. It is less often left out after nouns.
[to a communist girl, while being disguised]
René Artois: Can't you see that I am my father?

No comments:

Post a Comment