Friday, April 24, 2009

might

Might be intresting Ice formations ...
Click here for more pictures.

modal verb (negative might not, short form mightn't )
used as the past tense of may when reporting what sb has said: He said he might come tomorrow.
used when showing that sth is or was possible: He might get there in time, but I can't be sure. ◆ I know Vicky doesn't like the job, but I mightn't find it too bad. ◆ The pills might have helped him, if only he'd taken them regularly. ◆ He might say that now (= it is true that he does), but he can soon change his mind.
used to make a polite suggestion: You might try calling the help desk. ◆ I thought we might go to the zoo on Saturday.
(BrE) used to ask permission politely: Might I use your phone? ◆ If I might just say something ...
(formal) used to ask for information: How might the plans be improved upon? ◆ And who might she be?
used to show that you are annoyed about sth that sb could do or could have done: I think you might at least offer to help! ◆ Honestly, you might have told me!
used to say that you are not surprised by sth: I might have guessed it was you!
used to emphasize that an important point has been made: 'And where is the money coming from?' 'You might well ask!' MODAL
Idioms see WELL
noun [U] (formal or literary) great strength, energy or power: America's military might ◆ I pushed the rock with all my might.

Click here for more definition,
and here for more quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment