Wednesday, June 3, 2009

feeling

sth that you feel
[C] ~ (of sth) something that you feel through the mind or through the senses: a feeling of hunger / excitement / sadness ◆ guilty feelings ◆ I've got a tight feeling in my stomach. ◆ (spoken) 'I really resent the way he treated me.' 'I know the feeling.' (= I know how you feel) ◆ 'I'm going to miss you.' 'The feeling's mutual (= I feel exactly the same).'
idea / belief
[sing.] ~ (of sth)
~ (that ...) the idea or belief that a particular thing is true or a particular situation is likely to happen: He suddenly had the feeling of being followed. ◆ I got the feeling that he didn't like me much. ◆ I had a nasty feeling that we were lost.
attitude / opinion
[U, C] ~ (about / on sth) an attitude or opinion about sth: The general feeling of the meeting was against the decision. ◆ I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other. ◆ My own feeling is that we should buy the cheaper one. ◆ She had mixed feelings about giving up her job. ◆ Public feeling is being ignored by the government.
emotions
(feelings) [pl.] a person's emotions rather than their thoughts or ideas: He hates talking about his feelings. ◆ I didn't mean to hurt your feelings (= offend you). ◆ I kept off the subject of divorce so as to spare her feelings.
[U, C] strong emotion: She spoke with feeling about the plight of the homeless. ◆ Feelings are running high (= people are very angry or excited).
understanding
[U] ~ (for sb/sth) the ability to understand sb/sth or to do sth in a sensitive way: She has a wonderful feeling for colour. ◆ He played the piano with great feeling.
sympathy / love
[U] ~ (for sb/sth) sympathy or love for sb/sth: You have no feeling for the sufferings of others. ◆ She still had a lot of feeling for David.
physical
[U] the ability to feel physically: I've lost all feeling in my legs. ◆ Feeling gradually began to return to my frozen feet.
atmosphere
[sing.] the atmosphere of a place, situation, etc: They have managed to recreate the feeling of the original theatre. ◆ The house had a feeling of neglect about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment